Outreach and Projects

We run a number of specialist projects designed to meet particular needs of people who live, work or study in Southwark.

Read on to find out how we can help you.

If you’d like advice on an issue, or would like help from any of our projects listed below, please get in touch.

Debt and Money

  • Who is it for? – Anyone living, working or studying in Southwark who has a debt.

Capitalise is a London-wide partnership which tackles debt and financial exclusion in communities.

Our Debt Team, funded by Capitalise, provides specialist face-to-face debt advice at our Bermondsey and Peckham offices.

Debt advice by Thames Water Money Advice Project

  • Who is it for? – People living, working or studying in Southwark who owe money to Thames Water.

If you’re struggling to pay your Thames Water bill, our Thames Water advisers may be able to offer you support. The advisers can also help you with any additional debt and money issues you may have.

Debt advice by Pound Advice

  • Who is it for? – L&Q tenants with a debt who are living, working or studying in Southwark.

Pound Advice is a face-to-face advice service for London & Quadrant (L&Q) tenants. It can help with debt and budgeting issues.

Money Savvy Southwark

  • Who is it for? – Southwark council tenants and housing association tenants living in Southwark.

Support around money issues for Southwark council tenants and housing association tenants living in the borough.

Click here to read more about Money Savvy Southwark.


Energy Best Deal Extra and Energy Best Deal Extra (for pre-payment meters)

  • Who is it for? – Anyone living, working or studying in Southwark.

Citizens Advice Southwark is proud to be an Energy Champion, promoting energy awareness and savings across the borough.

We have appointments available to help you with getting the best fuel deal, checking your benefit entitlement, and saving energy.

We also deliver energy saving sessions to consumers and frontline workers across the borough.


Carers Advice

  • Who is it for? – People living, working or studying in Southwark who care for an adult or child with disabilities. You do not need to be registered as a carer to access this service.

Our Carers Team provides free information and advice on a wide range of issues, including filling in forms, benefits and community care, and community care assessments.

For more details visit http://www.carersadvice.org.uk/.

Digital Support – Help using the Web

Digital Support Outreach

  • Who is it for? – Anyone who lives, works or studies in Southwark.

We are running regular Digital Support sessions at various locations throughout the borough where people who live or work in Southwark can get free help and support to get online. Our staff and volunteers are available to guide you through online systems including:

  • Making and managing your Universal Credit claim online
  • Setting up a MySouthwark account including registering for Homesearch
  • Online Bidding
  • Making a change in your circumstances

Find a session by venue/date

Below are a list of sessions available by venue/date. You can just drop in when the sessions are running and our staff will be there to help. You can also request an appointment and organisations can refer their clients for our digital support services.

Please click here if you wish to make an appointment for one of our Digital Support sessions.

If you are an organisation and wish to make a referral for a client, please click here.


Trust for London – Specialist immigration advice

  • Who is it for? – Anyone living, working or studying in Southwark.

Our generalist volunteers provide basic advice and information on immigration issues.

We also have a specialist immigration caseworker, funded by Trust for London, who is accredited at OISC levels 2 & 3 and can assist clients who have more complex immigration issues.


Macmillan & Dimbleby Welfare Benefits Advice Project

  • Who is it for? – Anyone currently awaiting, receiving or recovering from cancer treatment at any of the following hospitals: Princess Royal University Hospital, Guys’ & St Thomas’ Hospital, University Hospital Lewisham, King’s College Hospital, Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

We provide advice on benefits and other sources of financial help to people affected by cancer.

We can help with a number of issues, including: applying for benefits, benefit appeal, tax credits, health costs, accessing charitable grants, and transport and housing costs.

You can access the service through your hospital or by contacting us.


Southwark Council Homeowners

  • Who is it for? – People with a long lease from Southwark Council or freeholders of ex-council properties.

Our team can provide advice on many issues, including: excessive service charges, major works, poor standard of council works, and understanding your lease.

We can also provide advice on additional issues that may affect paying your service charges, such as benefits and income maximisation.

Equalities and Human Rights

Forum for Equalities and Human Rights (FEHRS)

Citizens Advice Southwark is funded by London Borough of Southwark to provide a critical friend to the council around equality and human rights issues, and support the delivery and development of equalities and human rights in Southwark.

Click here to read more about FEHRS.

Please contact us if you would like help from any of these projects.